Earth Essentials - Understanding our Biosphere
Earth Essentials - Understanding Our Biosphere
Biosphere 2’s K-12 program offerings highlight specific components of the NEXT GENERATION SCIENCE STANDARDS – CORE DISCIPLINE PRACTICES CROSSCUTTING CONCEPTS (www.nextgenscience.org)
$20 per person for a group of 20 participants or more, $400 flat rate for 19 participants or less. Approx. 3.5 hours. Unless otherwise noted, each lesson includes interpretive tour of Biosphere 2 facility. For group sizes above 90 students, additional charge of $10 per person (including chaperones) applies to cover additional activity stations. Maximum group size 120 participants.
Chaperone/Teacher to student ratio, for Biosphere 2 programs, is at least 1:10 and no more than 1:6.
LIFE SCIENCE ASKING & ANSWERING QUESTIONS STRUCTURE & FUNCTION; PATTERNS
This program highlights the bio in Biosphere 1 (our Earth) with large and small group activities. Students will explore the processes, relationships, and adaptations that support the amazing diversity in forms of life on our planet.
- K-3 – focus: Plants & Pollinators
- 4-8 – focus: Animals (Squid Examination)
- 9+ – focus: Physiology Investigation (Choice of Plants [Biosphere 2 Samples] OR Animals [Squid Dissection])
HUMAN IMPACT - EARTH SCIENCE ANALYZING & INTERPRETING DATA CAUSE & EFFECT; STABILITY & CHANGE
This program challenges students to explore and explain evidence related to climate conditions and issues. Students will work to analyze and present data to their classmates.
- K-3 – focus: Interactions, Greenhouse Gases
- 4-8 – focus: Data Analysis, Greenhouse Gases
- 9+ – focus: Data Analysis, Carbon Cycling
EARTH SCIENCE – HYDROSPHERE DEVELOPING & USING MODELS ENERGY & MATTER (CYCLES, CONSERVATION); SYSTEMS & MODELS
In this content-rich program, students will work in small groups to develop and practice using models that demonstrate the processes and principles that affect and are affected by water on our planet. Students will present these models to their classmates.
- K-3 – focus: Forms of Water, Watersheds
- 4-8 – focus: Ecosystems, Water Cycle
- 9+ – focus: Introduction to Oceanography
520-621-3960 or BIO2-GROUP@email.arizona.edu