A Celebration of Sustainability and the Environment at the University of Arizona’s Biosphere 2
This event will span the month of April 2017 to draw focus to the principles of sustainability and will feature key activities on Earth Day, Saturday, April 22 as part of the global celebration of Earth Day and the 10th anniversary of University of Arizona’s research program at Biosphere 2.
Each Saturday in April, Biosphere 2’s successful What If? events will invite the public to explore these topics that focus on Sustainable Ecosystems:
- April 1: Jaguars and Wildlife UA Udall Center presentation with special Ocean Beach Tour with hermit crab releases.
- April 8: Hopi Farming Practices SNRE presentation along with special Rainforest Tour and ladybug release.
- April 15: Green Spaces and Mental Health SNRE presentation.
- April 22: Bats Role in the Environment SNRE and Arid Lands Resources Science presentation. Other activities include: Hermit Crab and Ladybug Releases, New Civic Farms Vertical Farm Complex Groundbreaking, Tesla Motors Exhibit
- April 29: The Ecosystems of Dry Grasslands SNRE and UA Udall Center co-presentation.
Please note that all events/activities are subject to change based on availability.
In addition to Biosphere 2’s regular tours and Saturday What If? programming, Earth Day will feature a three-hour series of speaker presentations and panel discussions to be held in a tent on Biosphere 2’s lawn. A projected 500-800 Earth Day Biosphere 2 visitors will be on hand to hear moderated discussions on topics critical to our planet — Food, Energy, Water and Earth.
A keynote speaker will introduce the panel discussions where a total of eight scientists from across the nation will be paired with topic specialists for each 30-minute panel session.
In addition to the main-tent event, topic-relevant organizations from Phoenix and Tucson will be invited to present live demonstrations and activities on the lawn throughout the day. Food trucks, food-relevant organizations and music will liven the atmosphere. Activities for children will also occur throughout the day.
For more sponsorship opportunities, please contact: