Experience Biosphere 2
Biosphere 2 Ocean and Marine Research Tour
Take advantage of this rare and special opportunity to explore the world’s largest controlled research facility focused on understanding how our planet works. Starting in November 2017, one tour takes place the 3rd Saturday of each month through May 2018. Please refer to the descriptions below for dates and times.
Biosphere 2 Ocean and Marine Tour
Join a Biosphere 2 researcher for a behind-the-scenes-tour of our Marine Systems at Biosphere 2. On this unique guided visit, guests will get the chance to see the Biosphere 2 Marine Biomes, including the 700,000 gallon Ocean and authentic Floridian mangroves, up close. You will get the inside scoop on the cutting-edge research happening on-site and being applied in the natural world. Understanding planet Earth requires understanding the oceans, as they cover more than 70% of the surface! Come see the amazing Biosphere 2 Ocean system that will play an integral role in determining the future of the planet’s coral reefs and the billions of human livelihoods they affect.
On the researcher-led Marine Tour you will:
- See ‘Arizona’s ocean’, the world’s biggest controlled marine research facility!
- Hear about the Biosphere 2 Ocean’s complex and important history
- Learn about the importance of Columbia University’s CO2 experiments in the Biosphere 2 Ocean
- Understand why control and scale are important for marine research
- Explore the Biosphere 2 beach, normally off-limits to visitors
- Interact with the red leg hermit crabs that eat algae and control nutrients in the ocean
- Visit the Mangrove marsh and learn about the Algal Turf Scrubber experiment
- Tour the Marine Science Lab and observe the plankton that live in the Biosphere 2 Ocean
- Hear why corals are so important, how corals are reacting to increases in temperature and acidification in the natural world, and what scientists are doing to address the problem
- Learn about the cutting-edge coral research planned for the Biosphere 2 Ocean
- See skeletons of past corals that have lived in the Biosphere 2 Ocean
- Learn about the value, and challenges, of experiments at such a large scale
- Hear stories from the scientists themselves
What You Should Know
Suggested 12 to adult (all participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult).
Upcoming Dates TBA
Space is limited:
A maximum of 14 per tour.
$75 per person.
We strongly encourage that tickets are purchased online. Tickets can only be purchased in person at Biosphere 2 if space is available the date of purchase.
No refunds for no-shows or cancellations within 14 days of your specialty tour. Cancellations are processed via phone by calling 520-621-3184.
If you have accessibility concerns, please contact 520-621-3127.
Please contact our Admissions line at 520-621-3127.
*Ticket proceeds support the mission of Biosphere 2, the iconic research and education arm of the University of Arizona.